Friday, July 15, 2011

Waymarking- a why the heck didn't I notice that before, kind of cache


Yesterday was Zoomance at the Detroit Zoo, a 21 and older event put on every year by the Detroit Zoological Society and staff of the Detroit Zoo.  It's an opportunity to stroll the grounds without children, and take your time to actually read the signs concerning the animals, with spirited beverage in hand. 

Having been to this particular zoo ever since I was a child, it was nice to explore the area in a whole new light.......Waymarking.

Waymarking is sort of like geocaching, where you head to certain areas with the use of your GPS, but upon reaching the location there are specific requirements you must do in order to "cache" in.  My dear sister in law, Elisa, made a spreadsheet with the 25 different waymarks within the Detroit Zoo we were to look for, and even put them in order following the layout of the zoo.  With our GPS, cameras and iPhones prepped, we were ready to try this new endeavour.  And let me tell you, we had a great time!

Our party consisted of myself (obviously), my dear husband Jere, my sister in laws and dear friends, Elisa and Lorna, my always entertaining brother in law, Corey and my poor father in law, Carl, who probably wondered why he agreed to be seen in public with such a ghastly crew, lol.


Corey and our first waymark, the Detroit Zoo water tower. This pic was taken about halfway through the zoo.


What I really liked about waymarking (this was my first attempt) was the fact that some of the "marks" were things I've been walking past for years.




Lorna, Elisa and yours truly doing a little see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil at the Rackham Memorial Fountain, a 75,000 gallon fountain that is a great meeting place or photo opt.  Also a waymark.


Waymarking is all about an assortment of things, from signs and buildings to memorial markers and totem poles, you are always on the lookout for something different. How many times have you passed certain things and never really noticed them before? Waymarking gives you a chance to not just find things, but to really look at them.
No, you're eyes are not playing tricks on you.  But what a fun way to look at the fountain at the Penguinarium. Photo brought to you by my Hipstamatic app.

As you can see, Waymarking is something different at every location.  You get to see things a little differently, investigate symbols of diverse cultures or remember the past through memorials or historic items.  This was truly a grand advenutre, and I cannot wait until we attempt another great trip like this again!

Upon our departure of The Detroit Zoo, is the original train used when they first opened.  How fabulous that the zoo kept it and brought it out to remind us where we started from, while the current train travels past it several times a day.  May we always remember where we came from, so we know where we are going!

So hop aboard the past, and learn a few things about our animal friends and make sure to support your local zoo!


I hope you enjoyed my first adventure in Waymarking.  There will definately be more to follow!

Happy caching!

Robyn









2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting way to see old stomps with a new perspective! I'd love to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete